Friday 17 August 2012

Letters on cabbies to newspaper



MY WIFE and I were at Great World City on Sunday when we witnessed a heartwarming scene of a taxi driver helping his passenger by carrying her sleeping baby out of his taxi,
and putting the child gently in a pram.
The taxi was an SMRT Chevrolet taxi with the number SHD6200L.
Clarence Ngian




From Magdelene Sim 
I write this in praise of a taxi driver who is a reminder of the good in our society.

One recent morning, I boarded Mr Mong Kok Chong's taxi (SHC 2897E) and accidentally left behind my Gucci cardholder containing my staff pass, EZ-Link card and name cards.

I was aware of this only two hours later, when he called my secretary. He subsequently emailed me to inform me of the same.

As I was tied up at the moment, I asked my secretary to liaise with him, to ask for his assistance in returning my cardholder.

In the evening, I received an SMS from Mr Mong. He had passed his taxi to his relief driver in Sembawang and was taking the MRT to Raffles Place to return my cardholder.

I called him to offer to pay for a taxi for his journey but he declined.

When I met him at Raffles Place Station, he turned down my small token of compensation for his transport cost, time and effort. He darted past the barriers and left.

I was humbled and touched by his honesty and kindness. Mr Mong certainly went beyond his call of duty.




From Loh Kim Chye 
Recently, shortly after boarding an SMRT cab, its driver asked me to fill up a survey form on his service standard and driving efficiency.

The journey was not even halfway through when he asked if I had completed the survey.

I did so, and ticked all the questions in favour of the driver. But I thought that a driver should ask his passenger to do the survey only after the cab has reached its destination.

In fact, SMRT should not give out the survey in hard copy form but, instead, put a notice in the cab to request passengers to give feedback online.

In case the passenger may not remember the licence plate number, and has no receipt to refer to, the driver could give out a Post-it note bearing this and, if need be, the driver's name.

If the passenger is not IT-savvy, a hotline number could be provided.




From Tan Teck Kim 
With our society ageing, train and bus services are becoming less sufficient for the needs of people with walking difficulties due to the distance from their blocks in public housing estates.

Taxis are not frequently available along side roads and, at times, even when dialling for one in estates that are some distance away from the city centre.

With taxi companies constantly upgrading their fleets, could they consider permitting senior taxi drivers to rent older taxis at a special rate, to operate in designated estates and district codes?

This would enhance mobility for the aged and handicapped within their estates or nearby, for example, in Hougang, Sengkang and Punggol, or Simei, Tampines and Pasir Ris.

Taxi companies could operate site offices in the estates for these on-call feeder or intra-estate taxi services.

It would also provide an income opportunity to the seniors driving the taxis, who would not be permitted to ferry passengers out of the estates unless for personal and family use, if usage is properly reported and recorded with the company.


PS:
Some letters about cabbies.
So good and some not that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment